I got linked by Hacker News
Last night, my sarcastic post on the new MacBook Pro was posted as this thread on Hacker News. It generated some good comments and got modestly upvoted. So far I am approaching 12000 requests on that one article in the last 8 hours.
- The original poster apparently didn't realize my screed was supposed to be a Swiftian attack on the whinging that followed the MacBook Pros announcement. I am not sure if that makes my attempt at satire a failure or a tremendous success. It amuses me either way.
- My server held up well. Props to Digital Ocean for a great (and well-priced) product.
- Part of the philosophy behind sheep.horse was to keep things simple - plain files rather than a database backend. That seems to have paid off, I can live with a 8% CPU spikeI have plans for the other 92%.
- A surprising percentage of requests come from Facebook. There are at least 2 bots that just repost Hacker News articles to Facebook and I guess a lot of people follow those instead of reading Hacker News directly. This saddens me, Facebook already has too much of the Internet bound up in its sticky claws.
- Judging from the logs, very few people stay to read anything else on my site. Perhaps I need to punch up my writing, but it is more likely nobody cares about my half-baked book reviews.
I maintain this blog for my own purposes but it is fun to be noticed once in a while. The rush of visitors is trailing off pretty quickly, it's back to anonymity for me.